Sunday, August 5, 2012

First Nail Tutorial: How To- Ikat Nails

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE nail polish and doing nail art. I have never posted my results or how-to so I decided there is no better time then the present. Let me know how you enjoy this!!

I was browsing YouTube yesterday because I love to do that to find inspiration for my daily life. I happened to stumbled upon all of these awesome nail tutorials- some that were unnecessary and others that made me go "ahhhhhh" *angels voices*

I came across MissJenFabulous (links at bottom) and found a nail tutorial on Ikat nails. So I watched and fell in love and decided to try it. It just so happened to be time for me to do my nails for the week, eekk!

What I love about this design is that you can get creative with your shapes and your color pallet. Another thing I love is that this looks like it took forever to do but it is super easy. I did this watching a movie so I would be distracted while letting the polish dry in between coats and designs.


Here is a preview of what you will be doing!!
Not too shabby for my first attempt, huh?


Things I Used:


  • Nail file
  • Nail clippers
  • Sally Hansen "Instant Cuticle Remover" Max strength 
  • Cuticle pusher
  • Base and Top coat (Beauty Secrets, from Sally)
  • Nail strengthener (Sally Hansen's "Advanced Hard as Nails")
  • OPI Over the Taupe (base color)
  • "Black Sketch" nail precision nail art brush by Milani
  • OPI "Alpine Snow"
  • "White Canvas" nail precision nail art brush from Milani
  • Sinful Colors "Hazard" (Walgreens or Target)
  • Corrector pen or q-tip with remover 



How to Get the Look...



  1. So as always take the polish off of your nails
    1. Still rub your nails with a moist cotton ball of nail polish remover to the excess oil off the nail
  2. Cut and file your nails- I use a glass nail file for my nails
  3. Apply Sally Hansen "Instant Cuticle Remover" Max strength and push back cuticles 
  4. I then buff and shine my nails
  5. I then apply 1 coat of Sally Hansen's "Advanced Hard as Nails" nail strengthener 
  6. Then I apply my base coat
  7. I applied 3 coats of my base color (OPI Over the Taupe)
  8. Base color
    1. of course drying in between coats
  9. I then applied my black lines with "Black Sketch" nail precision nail art brush by Milani
    1. I started from the nail bed in strokes, making a triangular shape
    2. I then did the top part of the nail in the opposite direction
      1. I would recommend doing all 10 nails in order to give the black a chance to dry so you can continue the process
  10. I then filled in the black area with OPI "Alpine Snow" 
    1. I used "White Canvas" nail precision nail art brush from Milani to fill in any missing spots towards the top of my design
    2. Do this to all 10 nails
    3. I let them dry for an extra few minutes
  11. I then placed a dot of Sinful Colors "Hazard" in the middle of the white of each section of the nail
  12. Fill in any spots that need touching up
  13. Take a correction pen or q-tip with remover to get access polish off skin
  14. Let it dry
  15. Apply your favorite top coat
Right hand
Left hand

Inspiration:

So give this cool nail art design a try and let me know how it works out for you!!

Peace, love and nail polish.

-Asha Monet 

No comments:

Post a Comment