Saturday, June 2, 2012

How to Get the Perfect Boiled Egg

Ok so I know that I was supposed to write about the essentials to a college student's kitchen supplies, but I was craving some boiled eggs after someone mentioned sulfur. Weird I know but I just wanted some boiled eggs so I whipped up two and actually peeled them (without a mess!) and they came out of the shell in one piece. I know you are asking how on earth I did such a thing, but it is possible and it is ever so simple. I have always been one to boil an egg and have to spend too much time peeling the shell and ending up getting craters.

I did a little research on how to peel a hard boiled egg: no I do not want to blow on a hard boiled egg that I may serve to others or whatever other gimmick there is out there. I read so many ways to peel the egg but some people had luck with the techniques and others did not. I had success with my simple (and no brainer) method. Below is everything that I did and I had some good luck with my eggs from the peeling to the color of the yolks and NO sulfur smell. The sulfur occurs when you cook your egg for too long and at a too high temperature. The smell of sulfur and a green yolk will result.

Note: the size of your egg will effect the cooking time. I cooked two XL eggs for 15 minutes.

How to Boil:

  1. Start out with an older egg
    1. Do this because you will have a bigger gap between the inner and outer membrane of the egg, thus making it easier to peel due to the distance between the membranes
  2. Bring a small pot of water to a simmer on high temperature and place eggs within pot.
    1. This will bring the simmer down a bit.
  3. Add a few dashes of salt to the water.
  4. Bring water back to a boil for two minutes.
  5. Change cooking temperature to a little above your stove's medium setting but not quite at medium-high.
    1. Your water should be at a slow boil here.
  6. Cook for 15 additional minutes.

    1. I turn the heat off about a minute or two before the end of cooking time.
  7. Quickly remove the the heat and drain the water.
  8. Run cold water over the eggs for a minute.
  9. Cover the eggs in cold water for 15-20 minutes, or until completely cooled.
Now you are ready to peel your eggs! *yay!*

Let the Peeling Begin
  1. Tap both bottom and top end of egg on a flat surface until it cracks slightly
  2. Roll the egg on the flat surface
    1. You will hear the egg shell cracking
    2. Use enough pressure to crack the shell but not too much
  3. Gently squeeze your egg
    1. You will feel the shell begin to separate from the egg
  4. Gently pull at the egg shell in one direction
    1. I focused on pulling the top off and then squeezed the egg out of the bottom
  5. Your egg will be crater free and the shell will come off in one piece!
  6. Rinse your egg in water or rub the egg under your bowl of water you used to cool the eggs
  7. Eat and enjoy!



The yolk color I prefer .
The perfect peel!



Super easy, right? Tell me how successful you were at cracking your eggs using this technique. This was my first time doing this and both of my eggs came out perfectly and were cooked to perfection. Did this technique work out for you or do you have another way to perfect a hard boiled egg? If so, tell me so!

No comments:

Post a Comment